Wow there's a lot more condensation inside our ecosystem! Both the top and the bottom of our ecosystem contain more water droplet on the sides. We also noticed that our soil level decreased.
We still have 4 sprouts total. The tallest one is now 5.5cm! The height of the other three sprouts are 2cm, 2.5cm, and 3.5cm. We also noticed that there are some molds on the sprouts. Our Elodea has grown a lot longer since last week. Our water is also a lot cleaner and there's less debris in it compared to last week. We are thinking that the snails probably cleaned the water.
We also noticed that the water level also decreased. That's probably why there's a lot more condensation visible.
Water level decreased
We also noticed that the web on the Elodea is still present, and it's actually an even bigger web compared to last week's. We weren't sure if the snail on the very bottom of the water is still alive because it's been in the bottom of the water for a while now. We used the position of the sticker and the concave holes of the "legs" of the bottle to see if the snail will still be in the same position next week. Today, the snail is 2 of those "legs" away from the sticker.
The web on the Elodea got bigger
We are excited to see if the web on the Elodea is going to get bigger, smaller or remain the same for next week. Hopefully our snail on the bottom of the water is still alive.
WOOHOO our sprouts grew, and we got another sprout! We now have 4 sprouts in total. Our basic observation was that the condensation levels have increased and our sprouts look taller. We have a tall one that measured 5 cm, a medium sized one that was 4 cm, and the two small ones coming in at 2 cm each.
One thing we noticed was that the water and soil levels were the same as they were in previous weeks, and neither was the water. I think this is something that really surprised as, as we thought the string would absorb the water into the soil, decreasing the water level. We also figured that when soil got wet, it became more packed. We assumed the levels of both the soil and water would decrease.
Elodea grew longer and there'a a spider web looking thing developing on the Elodea
The elodea seems to have grown in the past week. One thing we noticed almost immediately was that there was a spider web looking thing attached to the elodea. This is the first time we have seen this, and aren't sure what to make of it. We thought that it could be a buildup of debris over time. We are interested in seeing if this is something that continues to 'grow' or if it goes away after a while. There was also more debris present in the water than last week.
Wow! We have four seedlings growing so far this week! Each is a different height but overall they all seem to be doing strong.
More condensation on the bottle and mostly concentrated on one side of the bottle
Upon getting the bottle our first observation was that there was quite a bit of condensation, much more than last week. Why is this? Could it be due to the time of day? Or a higher level of plant respiration inside the system? We're interested to see what the condensation will be like during week 4.
Plants growing at various heights
The plants range from barely popping out of the soil to about 5 cm. Two of the plants still have dirt nested on top of the growing plants. I wonder what impact that may have on the plants or when the dirt may fall back down.
Water level slightly lower but still pretty close to last week's level, and the snail is hanging on the string
Visible particles floating in water
Our snails seem to be just fine. One snail really seems to like hanging out on the string. We noticed that there were a lot more particles floating around in the water. That seems to be the main change in the water part of the system. The water level also seems to be slightly lower. I know plants take in water when they go through photosynthesis.
Dirt level decreased slightly
The dirt level seems to be slightly lower. Is it negligible? Will it keep changing and getting lower over time? Was the dirt just settling or did something in the system cause a change? The dirt seemed moist but not wet.
2 sprouts shown and condensation developing
Today our terrarium is a week old! We noticed two sprouts. One of the sprout is pushing up the soil, and the other one is sprouting with no soils attached on top of it. Both sprouts are approximately 1 cm. tall. We noticed condensation and evaporation happening due to evidence of droplets of water attached on the surfaces of both the top and bottom portion of our bottle. We also found that both of our snails are still alive. One is on the bottom of the bottom, on top of the rock, and the other one is moving on the string. The water inside our bottle is still pretty clear with no visible particles. We couldn't really find the Daphnia because they were really tiny and hard to see. We also marked where our water and soil level was at so we can compare with our future observations.
Bottom of our terrarium. One of the snail is on the bottom right hand corner.
Another snail is attached to the string!
Today we built our ecosystem, a two tier terrarium.
18 oz of Organic Soil 900 mL or Spring water clear packing tape
3 Daphnia 2 two liter bottles gravel
18.4 cm of Elodea cotton string 2 snails
6 flower seeds
• The materials we used on the bottom half of the terrarium was the gravel, spring water, snails, elodea, and daphnia.
• The top half of the terrarium was the organic soil and our flower seeds (we moistened the soil to help initiate the flow of water through two levels of the ecosystem)
• The cotton string connects the two halves of the bottle together, and helps feed water to the top half of the terrarium.
• After taping together the two parts of the bottles, we placed it in sunlight.